Zions Evening ESL Program
Intensive English Classes for the Salt Lake City Community
The University of Utah's English Language Institute and Zions Bank are proud to present the Zions Evening ESL Program. This 15-week evening course, sponsored by Zions Bank, is designed for students interested in professional and educational advancement. Each class is taught by a qualified instructor in a small classroom setting. During this course, students develop their vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, conversation, reading, and writing skills. All participants are required to complete a free English placement test.
This program is for people living in the local community. It cannot be used to obtain or maintain a student visa.
Monday-Thursday 6 - 8 pm
|Session Dates||Testing Dates: Now through August 21, 2020|
|Fall 2020||August 24 - December 11th||
All placement testing for the fall program will occur online. Please register here.
The cost for each student is $200, plus an additional $45 for the textbook. All other program costs are generously paid for by Zions Bank.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility for the Zion’s Evening Program is determined through testing. Testing is done on a computer. You will be tested for reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. During the test, we will provide scratch paper and pencils. At a minimum, qualified applicants will be able to confidently say the following about their English skills:
- I can understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. I can understand the main point of many radio or TV programs on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest when the delivery is relatively slow and clear.
- I can understand texts that consist mainly of high frequency everyday or job-related language. I can understand the description of events, feelings and wishes in personal letters.
- I can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in an area where English is spoken. I can enter unprepared into conversation on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. family, hobbies, work, travel and current events).
- I can interact about experiences, events, impressions and feelings provided that I can prepare beforehand. I can ask for or give simple clarifications and can respond to comments and questions in some detail.
- I can interact with a group working on a project, provided there are visual aids such as images, statistics and graphs to clarify more complex concepts.
Steps for Enrollment
- Select Program Placement Test Date
All prospective students must take the free placement test prior to being accepted into the program. Placement tests are offered one month prior to the start of each session.
Students must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Literate in their first language
- Priority is given to students who would like to pursue higher education and/or want to improve their job opportunities
- Take Placement Test
The Zions Evening ESL Program placement test consists of four major components which takes a maximum of one hour. It is a web-based test.
The placement test is offered in the UUCE Building computer lab.
- Get your score and level
Shortly after you take the placement test, we will tell you your score and discuss which class is best for you. In order to take the Zions Evening ESL Program, students must be at an intermediate level or higher. If your score is too low we encourage you to take English Classes in the community to improve your skills and return to take the placement test in the future.
As a student you will only pay $200 + $45 for the book. Payment can be made with cash, credit card, debit card, or check issued to the University of Utah. Payment is due prior to or on the first day of class.
To learn more about the program or register for the test: 801-581-4600 | firstname.lastname@example.org